Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Sunday, February 14, 2016

Plein Air Painting Workshop at Scottsdale Artist's School

Plein air color studies by Michael Chesley Johnson

If you've been keeping up with my blog, you'll remember that I'm the award judge at the annual Arizona Plein Air Painters exhibition this April. This year, the show will be in Scottsdale at the Scottsdale Artists' School--and I'm very excited to be teaching a workshop along with it.

The three-day plein air painting workshop runs from Friday through Sunday, April 22-24, 2016.  I'll be taking students to some stunning locations around the Phoenix area at a beautiful time of year.  I'm eager to share how I "capture the moment" without sacrificing mood and magic in both oil and pastel.

By the way, lately I've been teaching how to use a painting knife, so I expect I'll be sharing my knowledge of that, too.  Additionally, I've been teaching field-study-to-studio, in which we gather field references and take them to the studio so we can create works that are more finished.  Time permitting, I'll share this as well.  In this post I've included a few of the color studies from a recent study-to-studio workshop.

This workshop is $400.  For details and to register:
http://scottsdaleartschool.org/course/plein-air-painting-workshop-with-michael-chesley-johnson/

For those of you who aren't going to the Plein Air Convention and Expo in Tucson, my workshop is a good opportunity to get a dose of plein air practice and feedback.  If you are going to PACE, you might consider staying around longer for this workshop so I can share my personal approach to outdoor painting.  By the way, my seasonal Sedona workshops are now full, so this is the last opportunity to study with me in Arizona until next fall.

Finally, for more details on the APAP exhibition, please visit
http://www.arizonapleinair.com/member-show

Thunder Mountain color study, including
prickly pear detail, by Michael Chesley Johnson

Camelback color study, including detail
of hillside and juniper, by Michael Chesley Johnson

Spring Creek color study, including broad study
of pathway approach, by Michael Chesley Johnson