Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Saturday, August 22, 2015

Another Plein Air Workshop Week Done - Not Many Left for the Summer!

Find the Painter!

The summer is flying by, and yet another plein air workshop has just finished up.  This week, I had students from New York, Wisconsin and Maryland.  They were all cheerful spirits, and the unusual fog we've had every morning for well over a week now didn't bother them.  Here in Downeast Maine and in the Canadian Maritimes, we just roll with the punches.  (Every day in this beautiful, quiet corner of the world is a gift.) I've included my demonstrations in this post so you can see what the weather was like.

Mysterious Meadow, 9x12 oil by Michael Chesley Johnson
 SOLD
(Underpainting was a monochromatic block-in with Gamblin Portland Greys)
Cranberry Point Fog - 10x8 oil by Michael Chesley Johnson
Available - $300 uframed
(Raymar panel with cotton duck surface, toned with Gamblin FastMatte Transparent Earth Red)

Next week, I have a break - sort of.  Rather than teaching a workshop, I'll be facilitating an advanced/mentoring one for Doug Dawson.  Doug has been designated a Master Pastelist by the Pastel Society of America and has been inducted into the Pastel Hall of Fame by the International Association of Pastel Societies.  I've worked with Doug several times over the years, and he and his wife, Sue, have become good friends.  I always look forward to his visits, and I'm always learning something new.  Doug will keep us all busy, but I will do my best to post some reports of the week here.

Not a painting, but if it were, it would be worthy of Constable


After that, I have one more workshop that I'll be teaching on Campobello Island.  Following that, I'll be teaching for Acadia Workshop Center in Bernard, Maine, October 6-9.  I still have some room left in that, so click here for details  Then, it's off to Arizona!  I'm excited about being an invited artist at the Sedona Plein Air Festival again.  And don't forget that my series of Paint Sedona workshops begins immediately after that.  If you'd like to paint some of the Southwest's best scenery, please visit www.PaintSedona.com for details.

Quiet Point - 9x12 oil by Michael Chesley Johnson
Available - $400 unframed