Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Acadia Workshop Center Workshop Report


One of my very favorite places to conduct a plein air painting workshop is Mount Desert Island, Maine. Home to Acadia National Park, it can offer some spectacular fall foliage. This week, I taught a four-day workshop through Acadia Workshop Center, which is located in Bernard, on the "quiet side" of the island. (The other side of the island, where Bar Harbor is located, is thick with tourists.) This is, I believe, my eighth season teaching for AWC. I was AWC's very first instructor, years ago.

My workshop this time around had students from both North and South Carolina, Massachusetts, New York and Maine. It was a friendly group, and we even celebrated one student's birthday with carrot cake out on location. It was also a hardy group. Despite the first three days being chilly and cloudy, everyone marched on cheerfully, even the students from the Carolinas.  The fourth day, however, turned out glorious - lots of autumn sunshine.  It was Maine at its fall best.

Below are a few photos and some of my demonstrations from the week. Now I am heading to Westmoreland, New Hampshire, to teach a two-day plein air workshop for the Monadnock Area Artists Association. I'm expecting more great fall color!




9x12 pastel demo

7x5 oil fall foliage demo

Sparkles 9x12 oil