Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Monday, February 6, 2012

Upcoming Workshops - Sedona Arts Center




April 9-12, 2012: ARIZONA, Sedona.  4 full days. All levels. All media.  Price: $450 Contact: Sedona Arts Center 1-888-954-4442, sac@sedonaartscenter.com, www.sedonaartscenter.com

I teach many workshops in Sedona, but this will be one of the few for all levels, all media.  If you were a bit fearful of taking one of my advanced workshops, then this one is for you!

We'll spend a little time in the studio each morning going over plein air basics, where I'll also go over my gear and materials.  Afterward, we'll head out to some of my favorites spots where I'll give a full demonstration.  During the demonstration, I'll show you how to capture the moment quickly and efficiently but without sacrificing mood and magic.    We'll talk about abstracting and simplifying the landscape; how to make the most use of value and color; and how to finish a painting.  Next, you'll get to paint!  I'll go from easel to easel offering help.  Time permitting, we'll do critiques at the end of the day or, if not, the following morning.

It doesn't matter what medium you prefer to work in.  I work in both oil and pastel, and will do so for the workshop.  But since we'll be focusing on painting principles, you can work in oil, pastel, acrylic, watercolor - whatever suits your fancy!

Sedona is a beautiful area to paint in with red rock hills, sycamore and cottonwood trees and running creeks.  Plus, if you've not been to Sedona before, it has a large selection of good restaurants, galleries and shops.  I hope you'll join us.

(Click here if you'd like to see my full plein air workshop schedule.)