Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Friday, August 5, 2011

Back in the Field - Plein Air Boats


"Limpid Light" 11x14, oil/alkyd

I went out today to Jackson's Wharf in Wilson's Beach to paint boats.  I wanted to have one more boat painting for my show at Sunbury Shores in St Andrews, which is being hung next week.  I knew that a painting made with traditional oils wouldn't be anywhere near dry by hanging day, so I pulled out the Gamblin FastMatte alkyds again.  Everyone is remarking on how much the paintings I make with the alkyds look like my pastels.  On a dry, sunny day - like today - the paints set quickly, letting me lay down lots of broken brush strokes and broken color.

The painting (above) will be dry by Sunday, when I have to box up all the paintings and head out on the ferry.