Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Large-Format Pastel and the New Studio Gallery





Trina and I have spent the last week getting Pumphouse Studio Gallery ready for the first in a series of Sedona plein air workshops. Although we bought the space mostly because I needed a place to hold workshops, we decided it'd also be a great place to hang and sell my work. So, over the last week, the space has metamorphosed into a full-fledged gallery. The only thing left to do is to put up the prices.

You'll note from the pictures that the space is, well, spartan. We purposely left it uncluttered and open for my students. Although my Paint Sedona painting workshops are small - never more than four students - and, of course, outdoors, we do need a place to meet in the mornings, for critiques, and for the occasional day of iffy weather.

Although we won't officially open the gallery until November 23, we'll be there off and on, and if the sign says "Open," come on in! You can also call us for an appointment (928-274-8043.) Pumphouse Studio Gallery is located in the lowest level of Creekside Plaza (across the road from the Tlaquepaque Arts & Crafts Village) and below Ken's Creekside restaurant. Regular hours will be Tuesday-Saturday, 1-5, and by appointment or chance. You can find out more about the gallery at www.PumphouseGallery.com.

This week's workshop is an advanced level one focusing on large-format paintings. Large format for me is anything 16x20 and bigger. I started a pastel yesterday that is 18x24. We worked as long as we could before the light changed so much that we had to stop. We'll go back again this morning to finish up. For my first session, I always like to get the big shapes blocked in and to get the value and temperature relationships right. In my second, I work on breaking up the big shapes into smaller ones and working my way toward detail. Here's the painting in the field and then back in the studio. Keep in mind that this painting is a work in progress. I'll post the finished piece next time.