Authentically Human! Not Written by AI!
All Content Copyright © Michael Chesley Johnson AIS PSA MPAC

Friday, May 15, 2009

Preparing for IAPS

"Moose River Spring"
9x12, pastel

We made it safely home to Campobello Island on Monday. All is well, and I'm happy to see the Island is close to spring. Although the trees are still mostly bare, the daffodils are up, and the grass has grown enough so that I had to mow it yesterday. (To be sure, I'd rather have been painting!)

In less than two weeks, I head out again, this time to Albuquerque for the IAPS convention. For those of you who aren't into pastel, IAPS stands for International Association of Pastel Societies, and the convention happens every two years. It's the pastel world's version of the G8 summit. Anyone who's anybody in pastel will be there. We'll have demos, workshops, offline chats and a vendors' show. I'm always excited to catch a demonstration of an artist I really admire.

This time around, I've been invited to demonstrate. This a real honor, since I'll be painting in front of my peers.

I was asked to do something with the theme of painting the Canadian Maritimes. For my demonstration, I'll include a short PowerPoint demonstration illustrating the challenges - and the delights - of painting outdoors in this area. In addition, I've created a short video to play while people are getting seated. You can see a preview here:


By the way, I scanned in one last painting from my week at Old Forge. This is a small bend in the Moose River. It was such a typical spring day - swiftly moving clouds playing hide-and-seek with the sun. (See above.)